What NOT to do When Looking for a Job in Israel
After living in Israel for 10+ years, and having plenty of different jobs over the course of that time… I’m going to share a short list of what NOT to do when looking for a job in Israel.
1. DO NOT GO LOOKING ON THE STREETS OF ISRAEL
When I first moved to Israel from America, this is exactly what I did…and it was a mistake. However, if you are reading this and are a young person who is just trying to look for a low paying job, then go for it.
You can easily go down to the Tel Aviv beaches, walk the boardwalk and find a job at a bar or a restaurant.
Your strategy is to go into the target bars and restaurants, ask the first person you see:
“Hi, can I speak to the person in charge of hiring?”
It is simple, and it works. You will meet the manager, and I wish you luck from there.
However, if you are a grown-up and you want to find a high paying job… this is a bad idea.
So don’t do it!
DO NOT DO WHAT I WROTE ABOVE! Instead, here are a few ideas for you to help you find a job in Israel:
In Israel that 60% of jobs are not listed publicly. This is because most companies prefer to hire people from inside the organization. Therefore, you will want to build a network that will help you in find job openings in Israel.
While many people think that soliciting is not professional, it does work in Israel. There is no harm in asking a human resource manager if there is a job opening within their company. Doing this shows your seriousness, and there is a chance that you might be considered… if there is a job opening.
Use The Internet
Using the internet is probably the most effective way to get a job in Israel. Of course, the internet has the most information about various job openings in the country. Many companies that post job openings, do it online and because of this you need to also use the internet during your job-hunt.
Target Foreign Companies
There are many foreign companies in Israel that hire people from all over the world. If you are new in Israel, you can try finding jobs in companies that deal with customers abroad.
Hire a English Speaking Job Recruiter
A job recruiter can help you to search for a job that matches your experience type. Here is a link to a list of the best 72 job recruiters that work with English speakers in Israel: CLICK HERE
I remember the day I arrived in Israel, I had NO money – NO friends – and NO job.
As the start-up capital of the world, Israel has plenty of new companies with growing English speaking sales teams. Therefore, with my 15+ years of experience in the field of sales, I decided to open a sales training/consulting company.
I never thought that I would open my own business in Israel…but I did!
At once, I went to an accountant to file the proper paperwork to legally operate my NEW sales consulting company. Afterwards, I began to use all of my spare time (at this point I had a full-time job for a high-tech company) after work and before work creating materials and trying to acquire clients.
I started cold calling companies in Tel Aviv, Herzliya, Ramat Gan, Jerusalem, Bat Yam, and Holon. Moreover, I was working like a madman. I was sending emails and doing everything in my power to try to generate momentum in my business.
Something I immediately noticed, was at the conclusion of my sales training workshops (where I focused on selling through telling stories, and teaching specific sales techniques), two things would happen consistently happen:
Firstly, I would receive feedback that the sales training workshop provided massive value. Secondly, one or two of the students in the course would privately approach me.
They would speak with me about their struggles, not only in sales but also in life.
Then one time, a female student offered to pay me for a one-on-one sit down session outside of the office. She asked me to help her figure out a better career path. As a struggling entrepreneur, I accepted.
Another student, at another company, approached me and offered to pay me for my time to help prepare him for a job interview. Yes, he was planning to leave the sales job that he was at.
Each person with his or her own challenge. They knew I was not certified or professionally trained. Still, they would approach me and offer to pay me for my time.
To sit with them and help figure things out, and to give them my guidance. These first clients called me their “Life Coach” or “Career Counselor“.
Moreover, I was able to help them! At the conclusion of our 3 to 5 one-on-one sessions, they each had taken took massive steps forward towards the results they wanted.
This interesting and fulfilling profession came to me, literally.
And that is the story of how I began life coaching and career counseling in Tel Aviv Israel. Moreover now, 8+ years later… I can say that I’m happy to say I have helped many, many people just like you.
Here is a list of articles (below) about what it is actually, really like living in Israel!
- What is it like living in Israel during a war? – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/what-is-like-living-in-israel-a-war/
- The pros and cons of living in Israel – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/living-in-israel-as-an-american-the-pros-and-cons/
- Living in Israel during the Jewish high holidays – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/the-high-holidays-in-israel-as-a-non-jew/
- The worst things about living in Israel – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/the-worst-things-about-living-in-israel/
- The cost of living in Israel – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/the-cost-of-living-in-israel/
- Is living in Israel really safe? – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/is-living-in-israel-safe/
- Living in Israel and Israeli landlords – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/renting-in-tel-aviv-israel-and-israeli-landlords/
- The struggles I go through living in Israel as an American immigrant – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/the-struggle-that-i-go-through-living-in-israel-as-an-american/
- Living in Israel during a war – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/living-in-israel-during-a-war/
- Living in Israel without speaking English – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/living-in-israel-without-speaking-hebrew/
- Living in Israel as an American – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/living-in-israel-as-an-american/
- The five best things about living in Israel – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/the-5-best-things-about-living-in-israel/
- The worst things about living in Tel Aviv, Israel – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/the-worst-things-about-living-in-tel-aviv/
Here is a list (below) of articles on how to find a job in Israel that will really, really help you!
How to get unemployment benefits in Israel –
- How to get unemployment benefits in Israel – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/understanding-unemployment-benefits-in-israel/
- What you need to know about working in Israel – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/heres-what-you-really-need-to-know-about-working-in-israel/
- The best ways to find a job in Israel – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/the-best-ways-to-find-a-job-in-israel/
- How to find a job in Israel using the internet? – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/how-to-find-a-job-in-israel-using-the-internet/
- How to find an English speaking job in Israel? – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/how-to-find-an-english-speaking-job-in-israel/
- How to find a job in Israel as a student? – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/how-to-find-a-job-in-israel-as-a-student/
- How to write a CV for the Israeli job market? – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/how-to-write-a-cv-for-the-israeli-job-market/
- How to find a job in Israel? – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/finding-a-job-in-israel/
- The job hiring process in Israel – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/the-hiring-process-in-israel/
- The job interview process in Israel – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/the-job-interview-process-in-israel/
- How to find a job in Israel using LinkedIn? – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/how-to-find-a-job-in-israel-using-linkedin/
- How to find a job in Israel even if you don’t have experience? – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/how-to-find-a-job-in-israel-even-if-you-dont-have-experience/
- The best 5 cities to look for a job in Israel – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/the-five-best-cities-to-look-for-a-job-in-israel/
- The best way to start a new job in Israel –https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/the-best-way-to-start-a-new-job-in-israel/
- The best job opportunity in Israel for English speakers –https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/the-best-job-opportunity-in-israel-for-english-speakers/
- The best websites to use to find an English speaking job in Israel –https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/the-best-websites-to-use-to-find-an-english-speaking-job-in-israel/
- Things you absolutely must have to find a job in Israel –https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/things-you-must-have-to-find-a-job-in-israel-2/
- Three tips to ace your job interview in Israel –https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/3-tips-to-ace-your-job-interview-in-israel/
- The 3 hardest things about find a job in Israel –https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/3-hardest-things-about-finding-a-job-in-israel-2/
- How to use LinkedIn networking to find an English speaking job in Israel? –https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/how-to-use-linkedin-networking-to-find-an-english-speaking-job-in-israel/
- How to look for a job in Israel? – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/looking-for-a-job-in-israel/
- The fastest way to find an English speaking job in Israel –https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/the-fastest-ways-to-find-a-english-speaking-job-in-israel/
- How to find a job in Israel using Facebook? –https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/how-to-find-a-job-in-israel-using-facebook/
And here is a list of articles (below) that will definitely help you if you are planning to move to Israel!
- How to decide which city in Israel to move to? – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/how-to-decide-which-city-in-israel-to-move-to/
- What you need to know first before you move to Israel? – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/moving-to-israel-what-you-need-to-know-first/
- Three tips on going to Misrad Hapnim (the immigration offices) in Israel – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/3-tips-on-going-to-misrad-hapnim-in-israel/
- Five tips on moving to Israel from America – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/tips-on-living-and-moving-from-an-american-living-in-israel-2020/
- The hardest things about moving to Israel from America – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/hardest-things-about-moving-to-israel-from-america/
- Four tips for going to the Misrad Hapnim offices in Israel – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/4-tips-for-going-to-misrad-hapnim-in-israel/
- Three tips on making Aliyah to Israel from America – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/my-aliyah-story-and-3-tips-on-moving-to-israel-from-america/
- Moving to Israel from America – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/moving-to-israel-from-america/
- What is Misrad Hapnim (the name of the Israeli immigration offices) in Israel? – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/misrad-hapnim-in-israel/
- Moving to Israel from the UK – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/moving-to-israel-from-the-uk/
- Average Job Salary – The Cost of Living in Israel – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/average-job-salary-the-cost-of-living-in-israel/
- Advice from an American about moving to Israel – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/moving-to-israel-advice-from-an-american/