Moving to Israel from the UK
Making the leap from the UK to Israel is an exciting adventure, but it can also feel like navigating a confusing labyrinth.
This blog post is your map to a smooth transition, filled with tips and tricks to turn your culture clash into a culture smash.
First things first: The Paperwork
Israel offers various visa options, so you should research the one that fits you.
Keep in mind that the process can take months, so start early!
Looking for an apartment?
You will want to make sure that you have the google translate extension on your internet browser.
Because you should use the best website – www.yad2.co.il – to find a great apt.
And yes… it’s in Hebrew (as most websites in Israel are) so you will need to make sure you can read everything to find the type of apartment you are looking for.
Remember, things move fast in the Israeli housing market, so be prepared to act quickly and have your shekels (Israeli currency) ready.
Secondly, Shedding Your British Skin
You are going to experience culture shock when you move to Israel and the best thing you can do is to start embracing Israeli culture ASAP. It will be crucial to thriving.
Here’s a super-fast crash course to help you get used to things a bit quicker:
Friday night is family time, and most shops and restaurants close. Embrace the peaceful quiet and enjoy a delicious Shabbat dinner.
Directness is King!
Israelis are known for their bluntness, but don’t mistake it for rudeness. It’s just their way of getting things done.
Be open, be honest, and don’t be afraid to speak your mind!
Learn the Language!
Hebrew might seem like an alien language at first, but don’t be discouraged.
There are plenty of resources available, from “ulpan” (intensive Hebrew courses) to language learning apps – like Duolingo.
Even learning a few basic phrases will go a long way. Israelis love the effort, so don’t be afraid to butcher the pronunciation – they’ll just laugh and help you out.
**Bonus Tip: Embrace the Unexpected**
Things might not always go according to plan in Israel.
Public transportation can be…hectic, deadlines are flexible, and spontaneous adventures (and wars) are the norm.
Get ready to roll with the punches, laugh at the chaos, and enjoy the ride.
Moving to Israel is an incredible opportunity to experience a new culture, make new friends, and create new memories that will last a lifetime.
**P.S.** Don’t forget the sunscreen – you’ll need it!
See, I still remember the day I arrived in Israel… I had NO JOB, NO FRIENDS, and NO MONEY.
And it took me several years of living in Israel before I found a decent-paying job at a tech company.
I was working for this company, and was promoted to a leadership position when I had a powerful self-realization:
The purpose of my life, is helping other people get what they want from life.
I looked back into my past and understood that I was always asked to be a leader + trainer + teacher… and I absolutely loved doing it!
Therefore, with my 15+ years of experience in the field of sales and customer service I decided to open a sales training company.
I never thought that I would open my own business in Israel… but I did!
I decided to name my sales training company Sales Development Israel.
Then, I began to use all of my spare time before work and after work creating training materials, and trying to acquire clients.
Basically, I was reaching out across the whole country of Israel in my efforts.
Great news – I was able to find my first few clients!
Firstly, I would receive feedback that my sales training workshops were providing massive value for the sales team.
Secondly, one or two of the students in the courses would privately approach me.
These students would speak with me about their struggles not only in sales, but also in their lives.
Then one time, a female student offered to pay me for a one-on-one session outside of the office.
Another student, approached me and offered to pay me for my time to help prepare him for a job interview.
And this would happen again and again and again…
Each of these wonderful people I began to work one-on-one with, had their own unique challenge, and asked me for help.
Each time we developed a plan, strategized, and executed.
At the conclusion of our one-on-one sessions, they each had taken took massive steps forward towards the results they wanted!
This interesting and fulfilling profession came to me… literally.
And after all these years, I’m happy to say I have helped hundreds and hundreds of people from around the world!
And here is a list of articles (below) that will definitely help you if you are planning to move to Israel!
- How to decide which city in Israel to move to? – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/how-to-decide-which-city-in-israel-to-move-to/
- What you need to know first before you move to Israel? – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/moving-to-israel-what-you-need-to-know-first/
- Three tips on going to Misrad Hapnim (the immigration offices) in Israel – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/3-tips-on-going-to-misrad-hapnim-in-israel/
- Five tips on moving to Israel from America – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/tips-on-living-and-moving-from-an-american-living-in-israel-2020/
- The hardest things about moving to Israel from America – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/hardest-things-about-moving-to-israel-from-america/
- Four tips for going to the Misrad Hapnim offices in Israel – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/4-tips-for-going-to-misrad-hapnim-in-israel/
- Three tips on making Aliyah to Israel from America – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/my-aliyah-story-and-3-tips-on-moving-to-israel-from-america/
- Moving to Israel from America – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/moving-to-israel-from-america/
- What is Misrad Hapnim (the name of the Israeli immigration offices) in Israel? – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/misrad-hapnim-in-israel/
- Moving to Israel from the UK – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/moving-to-israel-from-the-uk/
- Average Job Salary – The Cost of Living in Israel – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/average-job-salary-the-cost-of-living-in-israel/
- Advice from an American about moving to Israel – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/moving-to-israel-advice-from-an-american/
Here is a list of articles (below) about what it is actually, really like living in Israel!
- What is it like living in Israel during a war? – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/what-is-like-living-in-israel-a-war/
- The pros and cons of living in Israel – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/living-in-israel-as-an-american-the-pros-and-cons/
- Living in Israel during the Jewish high holidays – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/the-high-holidays-in-israel-as-a-non-jew/
- The worst things about living in Israel – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/the-worst-things-about-living-in-israel/
- The cost of living in Israel – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/the-cost-of-living-in-israel/
- Is living in Israel really safe? – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/is-living-in-israel-safe/
- Living in Israel and Israeli landlords – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/renting-in-tel-aviv-israel-and-israeli-landlords/
- The struggles I go through living in Israel as an American immigrant – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/the-struggle-that-i-go-through-living-in-israel-as-an-american/
- Living in Israel during a war – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/living-in-israel-during-a-war/
- Living in Israel without speaking English – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/living-in-israel-without-speaking-hebrew/
- Living in Israel as an American – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/living-in-israel-as-an-american/
- The five best things about living in Israel – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/the-5-best-things-about-living-in-israel/
- The worst things about living in Tel Aviv, Israel – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/the-worst-things-about-living-in-tel-aviv/
Here is a list (below) of articles on how to find a job in Israel that will really, really help you!
How to get unemployment benefits in Israel –
- How to get unemployment benefits in Israel – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/understanding-unemployment-benefits-in-israel/
- What you need to know about working in Israel – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/heres-what-you-really-need-to-know-about-working-in-israel/
- The best ways to find a job in Israel – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/the-best-ways-to-find-a-job-in-israel/
- How to find a job in Israel using the internet? – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/how-to-find-a-job-in-israel-using-the-internet/
- How to find an English speaking job in Israel? – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/how-to-find-an-english-speaking-job-in-israel/
- How to find a job in Israel as a student? – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/how-to-find-a-job-in-israel-as-a-student/
- How to write a CV for the Israeli job market? – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/how-to-write-a-cv-for-the-israeli-job-market/
- How to find a job in Israel? – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/finding-a-job-in-israel/
- The job hiring process in Israel – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/the-hiring-process-in-israel/
- The job interview process in Israel – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/the-job-interview-process-in-israel/
- How to find a job in Israel using LinkedIn? – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/how-to-find-a-job-in-israel-using-linkedin/
- How to find a job in Israel even if you don’t have experience? – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/how-to-find-a-job-in-israel-even-if-you-dont-have-experience/
- The best 5 cities to look for a job in Israel – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/the-five-best-cities-to-look-for-a-job-in-israel/
- The best way to start a new job in Israel –https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/the-best-way-to-start-a-new-job-in-israel/
- The best job opportunity in Israel for English speakers –https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/the-best-job-opportunity-in-israel-for-english-speakers/
- The best websites to use to find an English speaking job in Israel –https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/the-best-websites-to-use-to-find-an-english-speaking-job-in-israel/
- Things you absolutely must have to find a job in Israel –https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/things-you-must-have-to-find-a-job-in-israel-2/
- Three tips to ace your job interview in Israel –https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/3-tips-to-ace-your-job-interview-in-israel/
- The 3 hardest things about find a job in Israel –https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/3-hardest-things-about-finding-a-job-in-israel-2/
- How to use LinkedIn networking to find an English speaking job in Israel? –https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/how-to-use-linkedin-networking-to-find-an-english-speaking-job-in-israel/
- How to look for a job in Israel? – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/looking-for-a-job-in-israel/
- The fastest way to find an English speaking job in Israel –https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/the-fastest-ways-to-find-a-english-speaking-job-in-israel/
- How to find a job in Israel using Facebook? –https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/how-to-find-a-job-in-israel-using-facebook/