Understanding Unemployment Benefits in Israel
If you are living in Israel, then you know it is not an easy country to live in. Unfortunately, while living here, you may end up unemployed some day – so understanding the unemployment benefits in Israel may become a necessity for you.
That said, let’s dive in and learn about the steps involved in receiving unemployment benefits in Israel.
Firstly, what are “unemployment benefits”?
Unemployment benefits provide temporary financial support to individuals who are currently out of work and actively seeking employment.
Understanding how to access these benefits can be helpful during challenging times.
To be eligible for unemployment benefits in Israel, there are a few criteria to consider.
Firstly, you must be an Israeli citizen or hold a valid work permit.
Secondly, you should have worked and contributed to the National Insurance Institute (read more here – https://www.btl.gov.il/Pages/default.aspx) for a specific period of time.
Lastly, you must be actively seeking employment and available for work.
Meeting these criteria is a must to qualify for unemployment benefits in Israel.
Registering with the National Insurance Institute
To start the process, you need to register with the National Insurance Institute (learn more here – https://www.btl.gov.il/English%20Homepage/Benefits/Unemployment%20Insurance/Pages/default.aspx) in Israel.
You can do this by visiting your local NII branch or applying online through their official website here – https://www.btl.gov.il/English%20Homepage/Benefits/Unemployment%20Insurance/Pages/default.aspx.
Provide accurate personal information, employment history, and any relevant supporting documents.
Only then, Bituach Leumi (the name for the National Insurance Institution in Hebrew) will review your application and determine your eligibility for unemployment benefits.
Hopefully, you will be approved to receive unemployment money from the Israeli government.
Unemployment benefits in Israel are calculated based on your average salary over the previous 12 months.
The amount is typically a percentage of your average salary, subject to a maximum limit set by the government.
The payment is made monthly, and money will be directly deposited from the Israeli government into your bank account.
Job Seeker Requirements
There is a timeline set on how long you will receive unemployment money.
Moreover, while receiving unemployment benefits, you are expected to actively search for employment
You can learn more about this here – https://www.taasuka.gov.il/he (use Google Translate!)
It is crucial to document your job search activities and maintain a record of your efforts. By actively engaging in the job search process, you increase your chances of finding suitable employment and transitioning out of unemployment.
Basically, obtaining unemployment benefits in Israel requires meeting eligibility requirements, registering with the National Insurance Institute (Bituach Leumi), and actively job hunting.
So prepare your paperwork, read online at the website links I shared above, and use Google Translate to learn more.
See, I still remember the day I arrived in Israel… I had NO JOB, NO FRIENDS, and NO MONEY.
And it took me several years of living in Israel before I found a decent-paying job at a tech company.
I was working for this company, and was promoted to a leadership position when I had a powerful self-realization:
The purpose of my life, is helping other people get what they want from life.
I looked back into my past and understood that I was always asked to be a leader + trainer + teacher… and I absolutely loved doing it!
Therefore, with my 15+ years of experience in the field of sales and customer service I decided to open a sales training company.
I never thought that I would open my own business in Israel… but I did!
I decided to name my sales training company Sales Development Israel.
Then, I began to use all of my spare time before work and after work creating training materials, and trying to acquire clients.
Basically, I was reaching our across the whole country of Israel in my efforts.
Great news is that I was able to find my first few clients!
Firstly, I would receive feedback that my sales training workshops were providing massive value for the sales team.
Secondly, one or two of the students in the courses would privately approach me.
These students would speak with me about their struggles not only in sales, but also in their lives.
Then one time, a female student offered to pay me for a one-on-one session outside of the office.
Another student, approached me and offered to pay me for my time to help prepare him for a job interview.
And this would happen again and again and again…
Each of these wonderful people I began to work one-on-one with, had their own unique challenge, and asked me for help.
Each time we developed a plan, strategized, and executed.
At the conclusion of our one-on-one sessions, they each had taken took massive steps forward towards the results they wanted!
This interesting and fulfilling profession came to me… literally.
And after all these years, I’m happy to say I have helped hundreds and hundreds of people from around the world!
Here is a list of articles (below) about what it is actually, really like living in Israel!
- What is it like living in Israel during a war? – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/what-is-like-living-in-israel-a-war/
- The pros and cons of living in Israel – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/living-in-israel-as-an-american-the-pros-and-cons/
- Living in Israel during the Jewish high holidays – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/the-high-holidays-in-israel-as-a-non-jew/
- The worst things about living in Israel – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/the-worst-things-about-living-in-israel/
- The cost of living in Israel – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/the-cost-of-living-in-israel/
- Is living in Israel really safe? – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/is-living-in-israel-safe/
- Living in Israel and Israeli landlords – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/renting-in-tel-aviv-israel-and-israeli-landlords/
- The struggles I go through living in Israel as an American immigrant – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/the-struggle-that-i-go-through-living-in-israel-as-an-american/
- Living in Israel during a war – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/living-in-israel-during-a-war/
- Living in Israel without speaking English – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/living-in-israel-without-speaking-hebrew/
- Living in Israel as an American – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/living-in-israel-as-an-american/
- The five best things about living in Israel – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/the-5-best-things-about-living-in-israel/
- The worst things about living in Tel Aviv, Israel – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/the-worst-things-about-living-in-tel-aviv/
And here is a list of articles (below) that will definitely help you if you are planning to move to Israel!
- How to decide which city in Israel to move to? – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/how-to-decide-which-city-in-israel-to-move-to/
- What you need to know first before you move to Israel? – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/moving-to-israel-what-you-need-to-know-first/
- Three tips on going to Misrad Hapnim (the immigration offices) in Israel – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/3-tips-on-going-to-misrad-hapnim-in-israel/
- Five tips on moving to Israel from America – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/tips-on-living-and-moving-from-an-american-living-in-israel-2020/
- The hardest things about moving to Israel from America – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/hardest-things-about-moving-to-israel-from-america/
- Four tips for going to the Misrad Hapnim offices in Israel – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/4-tips-for-going-to-misrad-hapnim-in-israel/
- Three tips on making Aliyah to Israel from America – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/my-aliyah-story-and-3-tips-on-moving-to-israel-from-america/
- Moving to Israel from America – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/moving-to-israel-from-america/
- What is Misrad Hapnim (the name of the Israeli immigration offices) in Israel? – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/misrad-hapnim-in-israel/
- Moving to Israel from the UK – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/moving-to-israel-from-the-uk/
- Average Job Salary – The Cost of Living in Israel – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/average-job-salary-the-cost-of-living-in-israel/
- Advice from an American about moving to Israel – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/moving-to-israel-advice-from-an-american/
Here is a list (below) of articles on how to find a job in Israel that will really, really help you!
How to get unemployment benefits in Israel –
- How to get unemployment benefits in Israel – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/understanding-unemployment-benefits-in-israel/
- What you need to know about working in Israel – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/heres-what-you-really-need-to-know-about-working-in-israel/
- The best ways to find a job in Israel – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/the-best-ways-to-find-a-job-in-israel/
- How to find a job in Israel using the internet? – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/how-to-find-a-job-in-israel-using-the-internet/
- How to find an English speaking job in Israel? – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/how-to-find-an-english-speaking-job-in-israel/
- How to find a job in Israel as a student? – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/how-to-find-a-job-in-israel-as-a-student/
- How to write a CV for the Israeli job market? – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/how-to-write-a-cv-for-the-israeli-job-market/
- How to find a job in Israel? – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/finding-a-job-in-israel/
- The job hiring process in Israel – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/the-hiring-process-in-israel/
- The job interview process in Israel – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/the-job-interview-process-in-israel/
- How to find a job in Israel using LinkedIn? – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/how-to-find-a-job-in-israel-using-linkedin/
- How to find a job in Israel even if you don’t have experience? – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/how-to-find-a-job-in-israel-even-if-you-dont-have-experience/
- The best 5 cities to look for a job in Israel – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/the-five-best-cities-to-look-for-a-job-in-israel/
- The best way to start a new job in Israel –https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/the-best-way-to-start-a-new-job-in-israel/
- The best job opportunity in Israel for English speakers –https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/the-best-job-opportunity-in-israel-for-english-speakers/
- The best websites to use to find an English speaking job in Israel –https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/the-best-websites-to-use-to-find-an-english-speaking-job-in-israel/
- Things you absolutely must have to find a job in Israel –https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/things-you-must-have-to-find-a-job-in-israel-2/
- Three tips to ace your job interview in Israel –https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/3-tips-to-ace-your-job-interview-in-israel/
- The 3 hardest things about find a job in Israel –https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/3-hardest-things-about-finding-a-job-in-israel-2/
- How to use LinkedIn networking to find an English speaking job in Israel? –https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/how-to-use-linkedin-networking-to-find-an-english-speaking-job-in-israel/
- How to look for a job in Israel? – https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/looking-for-a-job-in-israel/
- The fastest way to find an English speaking job in Israel –https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/the-fastest-ways-to-find-a-english-speaking-job-in-israel/
- How to find a job in Israel using Facebook? –https://www.claudemasseyconsulting.org/how-to-find-a-job-in-israel-using-facebook/